Re: [unrev-II] Intellectual Property Rights in a Knowledge-Based Economy

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 13:42:04 PST

From: Rod Welch <rowelch@attglobal.net>

Peter,

Thanks for the tip on pending audio conference.

Live audio and video streams are not effective learning methods. A more
useful source of intellectual capital is the text of what is said and
presented, because text can be quickly integrated by linking into other
information streams for growing new knowledge. If connections cannot be
integrated quickly, the chance of overlooking critical new ideas is about
99.99% based on cognitive differences between literacy and orality, as
noted by Kissinger in his book Diplomacy. At most, all one can derive from
live feeds is impressions of something interesting that then needs a lot of
work to capture the record and begin connecting it to test alignment. Less
than 1% of people have time to do this, and fewer still have good tools for
making these connections. This is not a criticism of you, since everyone
these days is enamored by video this and audio mining that. Unless you are
selling a cake or a car, emotional entertainment, which dominates oral
presentations is not helpful.

If the text is available, can you let us know please.

Thanks.

Rod