[unrev-II] Mental arithmetic, ballpark assessments, mental models

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 20:18:55 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Arghh. Sorry, Eugene. I forgot all about this.
This message is for Eugene Kim, but I keep getting a
"data format error" when I attempt to send it direct...

Sorry, Eugene. I forgot all about this.
I'll print a copy and take it home with me for
a reminder...

Eugene Kim wrote:

> Eric,
>
> This is a wonderful anecdote. Could you refer me to books are articles
> that discuss this particular phenomenon? I'd love to read more about it.
> Thanks.
>
> -Eugene
>
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Eric Armstrong wrote:
>
> > From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
> >
> > BTW: On the subject of human memory ability, here is
> > one noteworthy result:
> >
> > * The 4 Hindu Vedas and Baghadva Gita are each about
> > 10,000 words long. (The bible, in contrast, is about
> > 5,000 words long.)
> >
> > * These volumes were handed down verbally from
> > generation to generation for thousands of years
> > before they written.
> >
> > * After some 6 to 10,000 years, there is ONE PHRASE
> > over which there are some differences of
> > interpretation -- out of all 5 volumes.
> >
> > It boggles the mind.

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/911/0/_/_/_/951110767/