[unrev-II] WebDAV and OHS, Versioning Issue

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 14:12:32 PST

    From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

    WebDAV is something that Adam Cheyer mentioned in his
    initial presentation. Jon Bosak recently pointed me to it again.
    It appears to be worth a very close look.

    http://www.webdav.org/
      "Briefly: WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and
      Versioning". It is a set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which
    allows
      users to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web servers."

    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

    http://www.asptoday.com/articles/20000204.htm
    http://www.asptoday.com/articles/20000211.htm
    http://www.asptoday.com/articles/20000218.htm
       Has a three-part series on WebDAV.

    From the first article:
    ---------------------
    "WebDAV ... extends the simple (HTTP) request/send mechanism
    (with a) whole bunch of new commands...such as:
         Editing resources in place (...without downloading them first).
         Copying, moving or deleting resources.
         Setting access permissions on resources.
         Locking resources
    So, what we are getting here is an ability to update files on a
    Web server. WebDAV turns the Web into a writeable medium...

    "The very first Web browser was also an editor - it didn't limit you to
    only viewing the document. The initial idea of the Web wasn't a
    read-only store of information, but a living, updateable store. It was
    only because the first released browser
    was a read-only, that we've got the current situation.
    -----------------------

    What WebDAV is missing
    ---------------------------
    What WebDAV is missing is the notion of document-hierarchy. So it's
    missing functions like multiple views or tagging and reuse of arbitrary
    paragraphs or sections. It's also missing automatic attribution. But
    some
    of these features can be built into the client that uses the WebDAV
    protocol.

    For the versioning to be useful, though, the "document" is going to
    have to be one of two aspects of an information node -- either it's
    text content or the list of child nodes that descends from it. That way,

    changing either the text of a node or the organization of its children
    will produce a new version of the node.

    Note on Versioning
    --------------------
    As a general issue, "versioning" appears to have two orthogonal
    meanings in a hierarchical document.

    One meaning is the point-by-point changes made to individual
    nodes in a document. One node may change 15 times. The next
    to it might change not at all.

    The other meaning for "versioning" is the version of the document
    that is published. So version 1.1 of a document might include
    version 15 of one node, and version 0 of another node.

    We probably need two different terms for these meanings to
    keep them clear.

    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
    Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!