RE: [unrev-II] Digest Number 102

From: John \ (johnwerneken@netzero.net)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 15:07:58 PDT

    I would recommend GPLish or BSDish license.

    I would add that I am not a particular fan of open source - the monopolists
    still possess four attributes that I find advantageous: (1) More focus on
    the widest possible end user community /market: it may be dumbed down or
    not-first-choise, but it is accessible, cheap, omnipresent... (2) More
    willingness to design to the existing knowledgre/skills of that broader
    market, and especially some commitment to end-user useability reasearch; (3)
    The ability to throw massive resources at a massive task; and (4)More
    predictability and persistence for the end-user skill set (mine).

    I felt this way about Word Perfect over Samna or Wordstar; Ansa/Borland
    Paradox over dbase; and lately about Microsoft.

    But the growth of Apache and Sendmail has proven to me, beyond doubt, that
    all problems are not massive or at least can be addressed BETTER and QUICKER
    with a step-by-step approach. And I like working that way myself :)

    The open source successes have absolutely required a de jure equality of all
    users and of all contributors, which in turn has made the expression
    "intellectual property" into an oxymoron. The last one in to the community
    has the same opportunity to benefit by using or rewriting the code as the
    first. If the problem is sufficiently interesting and useful, the community
    snowball and then avalanches.

    It is much more likely that the OHS-DKR-CoDIAK Project could become a
    successful open source community, than that it could become the next Oracle,
    Sun, or Microsoft.

    Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
    already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
    find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at: