Re: [unrev-II] MySQL License

From: Lee Iverson (leei@ai.sri.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 16:32:44 PDT

    In message <3904BDDC.93E6ECBC@eng.sun.com>, Eric Armstrong writes:
    >Here is one reasonable licensing model:
    > http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_Licensing_and_Support.html

    The MySQL license is definitely interesting but it is on the edge of
    the Open Source definition. Drawing a direct distinction between
    commercial/non-commercial uses is a problem.

    Let me try to rephrase this whole discussion. One of the basic
    foundations of Doug's bootstrapping model is the evolvability of the
    software. I'd like to suggest that the only way to get this to happen
    is to build the basic infrastructure on "open source" and "open
    standards".

    The fundamental issue is whether we are trying to build an application
    or to build the foundation for an industry. In my opinion, there is
    no question: an industry. In order to do that we need to worry about
    some very basic things:
         o Simple standards
         & Broad interoperability
         & Very low-effort buy in
         => Open source infrastructure

    Moreover, if we really want broad industry support for the standards,
    the infrastructure needs to be a component which can be easily
    incorporated into commercial (and proprietary) software. That argues
    strongly for a BSD-style or LGPL rather than the full-fledged GPL.

    Now, how do you make money in the context of an open standard and open
    source infrastructure? I think we need to think both as a group and
    as individuals on that point. As a group, we're essentially in on the
    ground floor of what we hope will be a whole industry. Funding this
    effort by inviting stakeholders in on the ground floor of the
    development of standards for enterprise-ready productivity tools
    shouldn't be too hard once we clearly articulate what our plan is.

    As far as our individual opportunities for business development go,
    I'd say look to the Internet and Web for that. Whether or not
    anybody's eBusiness stocks are presently going anywhere or not, I
    don't think that anybody could argue that there isn't an industry
    there. Significantly, all of the infrastructure of the Web (from DNS
    to XML) has been built on open source development and simple, open
    standards. Being in on the ground floor of that development should
    give all of us a head start in attempting to define and exploit that
    incipient industry.

    Lee Iverson SRI International
    leei@ai.sri.com 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park CA 94025
    http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/ (650) 859-3307

    Get 3 months FREE and a chance to WIN a trip to London, England when
    you receive, manage and pay your bills online with Paytrust.com!
    Stamps, checks and bills in your mailbox are history. Enroll Today!