Re: [unrev-II] WBI cross platform?

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 21:28:59 PDT

    WBI References:

    1) Use Cases
    Intermediaries: An approach to manipulating information streams
    http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/384/barrett.txt

    2) Adaptive Communities and Web Places
    http://wwwcssrv.almaden.ibm.com/wbi/papers/webplace.html

    3) IBM Transcoding Technology: Architecture
    http://www-4.ibm.com/software/secureway/transcoder/transcoding.html

    4) Limitations of the WBI Architecture
    Intermediary-based Transcoding Framework
    http://trinity.alphaworks.ibm.com:4001/tcentral/transcoding-paper.html

       "Though general, our transcoding architecture has several
    limitations. Among these are (a) that the language used by transcoders
    to express their capabilities is somewhat oversimplified, and (b) that
    the system's correct operation depends on cooperation among the
    transcoders in setting the properties of the input and output formats.
    First, it is cumbersome for a transcoder to express that it cannot
    accept input with certain combinations of properties. When a transcoder
    lists several property-value pairs in a single advertisement, they
    represent a conjunction of properties. To express the notion of
    disjunction, the properties must be listed in separate advertisements.
    Consider a property P that can take on three values "a", "b", or "c",
    and a transcoder T that can accept input with P equal to "a" or "b" but
    not "c". The only way to express this is to list all of T's other input
    format restrictions twice, once with the additional input property (P,
    "a"), and once with the additional input property (P, "b"). If a
    transcoder has several restrictions like this on its input, the list of
    advertised capabilities will quickly become long and unwieldy.

       The second limitation of our transcoding framework is that the
    usefulness of the system as a whole depends on the judicious and correct
    use by transcoder authors of properties in the input and output formats
    they advertise. If different transcoders use properties in different
    ways, or have different policies with respect to when properties should
    be specified in formats, the system will not function effectively. For
    example, consider the type "application/xscript" which has three
    different "levels", "1", "2", and "3". One transcoder might understand
    all three levels of xscript, and never make any mention of "level" in
    its capabilities advertisement. Another transcoder might only understand
    levels 1 and 2, and thus advertises that it can accept
    "application/xscript" input with the property ("Level", "1") or
    ("Level", "2"). These two transcoders could not work together
    effectively on xscript documents, because the output produced by the
    first transcoder does not specify "Level" at all, and therefore cannot
    be used as input to the second transcoder."

    Other links:
    How to build modeling agents to support web searchers.
    http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/pmaglio/pubs/um97.ps

    WBI Programming Tutorial. Available as
     http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/wbi/doc/Programming.html