Re: [unrev-II] Re: Intel's new XML network devices

From: Lee Iverson (leei@ai.sri.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 15:30:48 PDT

    In message <001201bfbac3$fb25a2c0$59bccecf@magic.bbearden.com>, "Bill Bearden"
    writes:
    >------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BFBA9A.124F9AC0
    >
    >Probably too late for consideration but...
    >
    >Apache is a big name in the OSS world. Douglas' name is the BI's biggest
    >marketing asset. Just looking for an angle...:-)
    >
    >Apache has lots of projects going and that means lots of developers. Perhaps
    >lots of possibilities for building on top of the work of all those
    >developers. Perhaps a few developers who would work on an OHS-type project.
    >

    >>From the Java Apache site:
    >
    > "Jetspeed is an Open Source implementation of an Enterprise Information
    >Portal (or Web Based Groupware). Jetspeed attempts to consume information
    >from multiple resources on the Internet and helps the user manage large
    >amounts of data."
    > "JAMES is a 100% pure Java Mail Server which implements our Mailet
    >(similar to Servlet) technology to provide a powerful mail based application
    >server. It is based on the Avalon server framework."

    No reason that they should be too late for consideration. The only
    reason I'm doing Zope at the moment is that it was trivial to install
    and has an obviously active user community. I have no real problem
    with Java or Apache (although I'm always wary of the sometimes large
    gulf between Java hype and reality). Ultimately I hope that the system
    we develop (especially the standards) is implementation language neutral.

    That said, Jetspeed looks very interesting and the java.apache.org
    site is a great resource.

    Lee Iverson SRI International
    leei@ai.sri.com 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park CA 94025
    http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/ (650) 859-3307

    Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
    experiments.