Re: [unrev-II] Comments on Requirements

From: altintdev@webtv.net
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 23:29:43 PDT

    Attached are my first attempts at some comments on our Requirements by
    Eric.

    is:
    This is a lengthy document aimed at adducing the requirements for a
    subset of an eventual Dynamic Knowledge Repository (DKR). The subset
    described is for a collaborative document system, which Doug describes
    as an "Open HyperDocument System" (OHS). The goal of this document is to
    show how such a system fits into a DKR framework, detail its
    requirements, and point to a couple of extensions that move it in the
    direction of a full DKR.

    change:
    This document is aimed at adducing the requirements for a subset of an
    eventual Dynamic Knowledge Repository (DKR). The subset described is for
    a collaborative document system, which Doug describes as an "Open
    HyperDocument System" (OHS). The goal of this document is to show how
    such a system fits into a DKR framework, detail its requirements, and
    point to extensions that move it in the direction of a full DKR.

    is:
    This set of requirements will focus on what is perhaps the major common
    feature: Documents -- in particular, Collaborative Documents, and the
    need to interact via email to construct them.
    change:
    This set of requirements will focus on what is perhaps the major common
    feature: Documents -- in particular, Collaborative Documents, and the
    need for collaborators to interact in a variety of ways, from real-time
    interactive shared screens to conventional email, to construct them.

    is:
    In the DKR discussion, we've seen pointers to several possible starting
    points for such a system. Those are contained in the References post, in
    the Bootstrap section. (They many possible starting points listed in the
    post desperately need short synopses and evaluations.)

    change:
    Let's add links to "References post, in the Bootstrap section" so we can
    be sure of what is being pointed to.

    I know this is not a lot, but it got me started.
    Please feed any comments to the list so the current requirements doc at
    my site hypermultimedia.com/DKR/ohs_cds.htm can be updated.

    Best Regards,
    Joe

    Also, I ran across this quote, which certainly reminded me of Doug's
    thoughts about the focus on augmenting HUMAN capabilities.

    Professor Ben Shneiderman, director of the Human-Computer Interaction
    Lab at the University of Maryland, said the instinct to simulate human
    or animal behavior by designers is natural, but results in little
    progress in technology.

    "Automobiles don't go by walking legs, planes don't go by flapping their
    wings," he said. "We have to shift our attention from making smart or
    intelligent machines toward empowering users so they accomplish
    remarkable things."

    Save 75% on Products!
    Find incredible deals on overstocked items with Free shipping!