Re: [unrev-II] soliciting agenda items

From: Paul Fernhout (pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 17:31:45 PDT

    Eugene Eric Kim wrote:

    > I'm in the process of putting together the agenda for tomorrow's
    > meeting. If you have something you'd like to suggest, please e-mail
    > me. Thanks.
    >
    > -Eugene

    While I won't be there (I'm in NY), I would suggest discussing
    committing to one or more appropriate open source licenses
        http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
    and code submission guidelines and agreements to replace "permission to
    use". This commitment would be required to be on SourceForge.

    Realistically, the license will probably be Mit/X/BSD-Revised or
    GPL/LGPL, perhaps with an "Open Content" or "Open Publication"
    license
    http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/openpub-license.html
    for emails, slides, and video.

    I would recommend looking at the Python submission guidelines for some
    ideas on what to ask from contributors:
      http://www.python.org/patches/bugrelease.html
      http://www.python.org/patches/wetsign.html
    These are basically statements of originality and disclaimers of
    contributor's liability.

    If such a license can be agreed on, consider putting as much of the
    existing code and repositories for Augment under it as is legally
    possible, as well as the contents of the Colloquium (email, slides,
    video). It is not important that a running version of Augment be put
    under the license -- just that there is something symbolic to start with
    (the "stone" in "stone soup" so to speak).
    I for one would love to peruse the Augment source code and comments for
    ideas.

    If commitment to a license is not considered appropriate at this time,
    at least discuss naming a date or time frame by which such commitment is
    expected, or discuss putting in place a formal process to decide on a
    license involving the mailing list, or discuss changing the mission
    statement of the Colloquium to be a meta-NIC existing mainly to discuss
    and catalogue existing OHS/DKR-like systems and suggest enhancements
    (which is itself a worthwhile pursuit).

    -Paul Fernhout
    Kurtz-Fernhout Software
    Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
    http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

    Did you get the best price for these CDs and movies?