[unrev-II] Separation of Business and State (was Re: "Ishmael", Caveman Diet, Garden of Eden)

From: Paul Fernhout (pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 07:33:20 PDT

    Interesting essay!

    Eric Armstrong wrote:
    > [snip]
    > But guess what? Government programs are *so* widely influenced by
    > business, that government isn't doing it either! This leads to my
    > basic proposition: The one weak link in our entire civilization,
    > the one problem that prevents all the *other* problems from being
    > solved, is the lack of separation between business and state.
    >
    > The framers of our constitution saw the need to separate church
    > and state. In one stroke, they prevented the excessive and abusive
    > exercises of power that characterized other nations, and they
    > prevented religions from exerting a stranglehold on government
    > action. However, they could not have foreseen the rise of the
    > industrial civilization that is now exercising a new kind of power,
    > frequently in ways that ultimately harmful. (On television last
    > night, there were drugs to make you go to sleep, drugs to fix
    > your upset stomach, drugs to solve you "social anxiety" problems,
    > and drugs for a variety of other conditions. There were also ads
    > for cereals, soft drinks, beer, and dozens of other fun but
    > so essentially-unhealthy substances that they should be treated
    > like cigarettes -- you can sell them, but you can't advertise
    > them. When you add up all the harmful things that are being sold
    > over the airwaves, it's pretty sickening, really.)
    >
    > So how, HOW, does one achieve a separation of business and state?
    > What does that mean? What does it translate to in terms of things
    > that the government can and cannot do? The question is important,
    > because I'm not sure there is any way for culture to begin
    > approaching a garden of eden, unless we answer it.

    Eric -

    This is a brilliant insight and very consisely put. You have framed this
    issue in a way that one can begin to think about more clearly. Thanks
    for the great contribution!

    -Paul Fernhout
    Kurtz-Fernhout Software
    Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
    http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

    Take your development to new heights. Work with clients like Dell and
    pcOrder. Submit your resume to jobs@liaison.com. Visit us at