RE: [unrev-II] one paragraph summary

From: Warren Stringer (warren@muse.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 21:48:37 PDT

    Yes, I hope all our contributions "self improve" so to speak--previous
    comments are all quit inspiring!

    It was tempting to pontificate on the benefits of open source, versus
    sale-able Intellectual Property, since SRI (as the case-use for many
    research organizations) tends to measure it's success on IP. I would like to
    know more about SRI's education initiative since that project provides a
    counter example to IP as a metric for success.

    Perhaps one approach to selling an Open Source initiative to an IP centric
    organization is to highlight the potential of the in-flow of Intellectual
    Capital to that organization--ie, talented people with notions of global
    service. Thus any sponsor of a Bootstrap initiative that *educates* its
    participants on a common language of knowledge deployment and organizational
    self-improvement would benefit from the eventual in-flow of people that
    would introduce new efficiencies to their own organization. (who was it, at
    the colloquium, that showed how even a small increase in efficiency
    compounded over many years would induce a significant difference in the
    bottom line?)