Re: [unrev-II] book/article recommendations

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 18:49:07 PDT

    Eugene,

    Everybody probably knows this, but what is the difference between Wiki and
    Zwiki. I was worried I had not heard these words correctly, but looking at the
    DKR shows both are used.

    Has this been set out in the record?

    For a book, might take a look at Landauer's book "The Trouble with Computers"
    reviewed on 950710...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/95/07/10/002652.HTM

    Another candidate is Andy Grove's book "Only the Paranoid Survive" reviewed on
    980307...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/98/03/07/161448.HTM

    Campbell's "Improbably Machine" yielded helpful ideas, reviewed on 900303...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/90/03/03/221844.HTM

    Another is "How the Mind Works" by Stephen Pinker, partially reviewed on
    990329...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/03/29/212547.HTM

    Covey's "7 Habits..." has a lot that suggests what technology needs to do in
    order to augment human reasoning, reviewed on 921205....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/92/12/05/000758.HTM

    Drucker's several books reviewed beginning on 931130 explains the importance of
    analysis, the distinction between information and communication...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/93/11/30/002549.HTM

    Thanks.

    Rod

    Eugene Eric Kim wrote:

    > There's quite a bit of diversity among this group, and a lot of
    > expertise. I think it would be great to start collecting reading lists
    > based on recommendations from all of you. For example, there's been a lot
    > of research in hyperlinking over the last two decades, and it would be
    > interesting to hear people's thoughts on what are the important papers in
    > this field (besides Doug's). I personally could use a list of good
    > primers in the area of knowledge representation. (*ahem* Jack. :-)
    >
    > These lists are not going to be helpful if they are large and
    > unfiltered. So let me propose the following. I created a Wiki page off
    > the Links section that is a list of topics pointing to reading
    > lists. Suggest no more than five references -- books, articles, web
    > sites, whatever -- on topics you think are relevant, and add them to the
    > Wiki pages with your commentary. It would be excellent to have a few
    > introductory books for each topic, but significant, more specialized
    > works are also good. If one of your recommended references are already on
    > the page, note that by using the "comment" class (as explained in Lee's
    > ground rules).
    >
    > I started things off by recommending Ted Nelson's _Literary
    > Machines_. You can read my brief commentary on the Wiki site:
    >
    > http://bootstrap.org:8080/OHS
    >
    > -Eugene
    >
    > --
    > +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    > | "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they |
    > +===== can have an excuse to drink alcohol." --Steve Martin ===========+

    Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental deletes,
    overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
    Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
    Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.