Re: [unrev-II] Jack's Use Case: Context-sensitive representation

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 13:30:34 PDT

    Jack Park wrote:

    > The topic maps folks do this with a *public subject* which is being
    > defined as a registered URN. Registering URNs doesn't appear to be
    > all that easy.
    >
    > In a closed system, you just start with the number 0, grab a couple of
    > numbers for some reserved things, then start giving every concept a
    > new, unique number. Pointrel does this. I suppose you'll need to use long
    > integers to pull that off, but, what the heck. Problem is, you cannot
    > share with others; that requires grabbing numbers from some registry.
    > Unique URLs

    I'm delighted to say that I have solved this problem, at least in
    principle. The combination of a globally unique userID (say
    country+ID#),
    plus a globally unique systemID (say, IP address) that includes a CPU
    identifier, in a multiple CPU system, plus a synchronized,
    miliisecond-level time stamp, produces a globally unique node ID.
    That mechanisms allows peer-to-peer node sharing.

    It seems like a lot of information, but except for the time-stamp,
    nodes only need pointers to shared IDs, so the resource requirements
    aren't too extreme.

    [Note: If I can *just* get the rest of the versioning process worked
    out, I'll have an announcement soon.]

    eLerts