Re: [unrev-II] Towards a summary of documents (including Conceptual Graphs based on existential graphs of Charles Peirce)

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 13:35:39 PST

    Another interesting reference relative to Doug's applied AUGMENT
    technology at McDonald Douglas:

    Design Repositories: Engineering Design's New Knowledge Base

    Citation: Simon Szykman, Christophe Bochenek, J. W. Racz and Ram Sriram:

    "Design Repositories: Next-Generation Engineering Design Databases," (to
    appear in) IEEE Intelligent Systems and Their Applications, June 2000.

    INTRODUCTION
    "Design of complex engineering systems is increasingly becoming a
    collaborative task among designers or design teams that are physically,
    geographically, and temporally distributed. The complexity of modern
    products means that a single designer or design team can no longer
    manage the complete product development effort. Developing products
    without sufficient expertise in a broad set of disciplines can result in
    extended product development cycles, higher development costs, and
    quality problems. On the
    other hand, ensuring comprehensive technical proficiency in a world
    where trends are toward more multidisciplinary design can become a
    costly undertaking for a company.

    Driven by such issues, companies are increasingly staffing only their
    core competencies in-house and depending on other firms to provide the
    complementary design knowledge and design effort needed for a complete
    product. Designers are no longer merely exchanging geometric data, but
    more general knowledge about design and design process, including
    specifications, design rules, constraints, rationale, etc. As design
    becomes increasingly knowledge-intensive and collaborative, the need for
    computational design frameworks to support the representation and use of
    knowledge among distributed designers becomes more critical. Due to the
    explosive growth of the Internet and associated information
    infrastructure, as well as the ubiquity of World Wide Web browsers, the
    use of the Internet and the World Wide Web as a medium for
    communications and information transfer is increasing."
    http://www.nist.gov/msidlibrary/doc/nextgeneng.pdf