Re: [unrev-II] Japan and IT

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 11:27:20 PST

    Yamada Sama,
    Human systems seem to be the product of evolution, perhaps with bumps in the
    path due to revolutionary discoveries -- punctuated equalibria, I think. I
    tend to view Doug Engelbart's work as revolutionary, at least in the sense
    that it was invented long before it became popular to think that way. It
    may be that Bootstrap offers the potential to be the small revolution in the
    social evolution we all experience.

    Given my "cowboy" perspective on things, I tend to think the evolution will
    occur, and perhaps with little pain. I continue to learn, however, that in
    cultures other than that to which I am accustomed, evolution may not be as
    easy. I think that perhaps the web and Bootstrap offer us the opportunity
    to advance social evolution in a sensible, maybe even painless fashion
    without giving up the true richness that many cultures offer to all
    humanity. It seems to me that, in attacking humanity's problems, as
    suggested in the Colloquieum, all cultures will find appropriate paths to
    local evolution. My invitation to discuss social systems stands; from time
    to time, perhaps you will find topics in that space that are, or become
    suitable for discussion.

    Jack Park