Re: [unrev-II] Themes: OHS / DKR vs. Design Science

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 08:26:39 PST

    News item in this weekend's Sacramento Bee: "Servers to tax power grid"
    (or words to that effect. California has been doing rolling power shortages
    lately. Not sure how much of that is politics to get rate hikes, and how
    much of that is real supply/demand issues. Who cares? It's happening.

    News item earlier about Russia not selling arms to Iran "at this time."
    Gads, its mind-numbing just what goes on in this world. For me, getting an
    OHS/DKR up ASAP is a "must do now."
    Jack

    From: Paul Fernhout <pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com>
    > I've been nudging these space things a bit lately (eg. article link on
    > Asteroid Mining) because we to an extent have lost a bit of the second
    > part of the UnRevII focus. The issue is what are the global problems of
    > humanity and how should we go about resolving them? (Of course, using
    > Augmenting systems to help us.)
    >
    > My perspective on this is that there are issues and challenges facing
    > us, but they are not what may be expected. Many are related primarily to
    > the implications of Moore's law applied over the next four decades (i.e.
    > computers a million to a trillion times faster than today's desktop for
    > the same price). Moore's law is itself a product of a bootstrapping sort
    > of process. Others are related to similar exponential growth curves in
    > biotechnology, nanotechnology, communications technology, manufacturing
    > technology, power technology, materials technology, robotics, and
    > collaborative technology (IT and/or social).
    >
    > Compared to those challenges, running out of oil in a century or two is
    > a non-problem. In that sense, asking where our economy will get its
    > power in a hundred years is a bit like demanding a five year answer in
    > detail how they will earn a living after college. Obviously we don't
    > want to wave all our problems into a future "deus ex machina", but the
    > question is -- is exponential (bootstrap) growth happening, and if so,
    > what does it mean the real problems will be (and for who and where and
    > when)?
    >
    > Or putting it another way, our technology may be in a runaway bootstrap
    > process whether we like it or not. This runaway bootstrap process may be
    > occurring whether or not our social knowledge or wisdom is bootstrapping
    > at the same rate. Doug has pointed out that every day may count -- he
    > says it is one thing that keeps him moving. So too we should think about
    > how every day may count as we try to bootstrap our collective wisdom
    > using still evolving Knowledge Management techniques to try to keep up
    > with the bootstrapping (or exploding) technosphere.
    >
    > Sadly, part of the problem manifests itself in lack of priority
    > resources to try to solve the KM problem (especially in an open source
    > way), as organizations position themselves for private gain in business
    > as usual. This is similar to Doug's parable of the ant nest that
    > overhangs the river and continues to expand thinking everything is fine
    > until the branch snaps and it falls in the rushing water to be swept
    > away. Why invest in bettering the lot of humanity when there is one more
    > easy sale to make of a proprietary software, or one more stealth bomber
    > to build at a profit and some campaign donations, or (more ethically
    > challenging) one more hour that could be spent with your family?
    > [Related reading: "Protector" sci-fi novel by Larry Niven]
    > http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~mcelroy/review/books/lnprot.html
    >
    > My personal approach to this other UnrevII theme is to focus on a subset
> [...]

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.

    eLerts