[unrev-II] About e-groups

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 09:50:27 PST

    This passage is shamelessly copied from another e-mail list I subscribe to.
    I submit it FWIW.

    >"eGroups collects information in a variety of ways from different parts of
    >the Service.
    >
    >Some information is gathered when you register. During registration,
    eGroups
    >asks for your email address, date of birth, gender and country of
    residence.
    >While only this information is required to use the Service, the more
    >information that you provide (and the more accurate it is), the better we
    >are able to customize your experience. In addition, when the service is
    >used, we retain your IP address for some period of time. An IP address is
    >generally not considered personally identifiable information.
    >
    > From time to time, we may ask you for personal information, including
    (but
    >not limited to) when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by eGroups
    >or when you subscribe to eLerts. If you contact eGroups, we may keep a
    >record of that correspondence. eGroups also occasionally asks users to
    >complete surveys that we use for research purposes. All other information
    >gathered is optional and is used to publish your member profile for other
    >members of your community to know more about you, and to better target the
    >advertising to your interests.

    >eGroups primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide you,
    >the member, with a customized experience. By knowing a little bit about
    you,
    >eGroups is able to deliver more relevant advertisements and content and,
    >hence, better service to you.
    >
    >In our role of delivering targeted advertisements, eGroups plays the role
    of
    >middleman. Advertisers give us an advertisement and tell us the type of
    >audience they wish to reach (e.g. males over 35 years old). eGroups takes
    >the advertisement and displays it to members meeting that criteria. This
    way
    >the advertiser never has access to individual account information. This
    kind
    >of advertisement targeting is also done with promotional email through
    >eLerts. You will only receive these special offers if you have indicated in
    >your registration with eGroups that you would like to receive them. You can
    >change your account preferences at any time.
    >
    >eGroups also does research on our member's demographics, interests and
    >behavior based on the information provided to us upon registration, during
    >promotion, from our server logs or from surveys. We do this to better
    >understand our users. This research is compiled and analyzed on an
    >aggregated basis. eGroups may share this aggregated data with advertisers
    or
    >business partners."

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.

    eLerts