Re: [unrev-II] Darwin Solves the Frame Problem

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 15:03:11 PST

    Thanks, Henry. I'll take a look at the book you
    mentioned.

    But note that "using clues" to "beat the time
    dimension" -- i.e. to *anticipate* and act
    *in advance*, so that one's reaction time
    overlaps the initiation of the opposing action,
    rather following it, is precisely a result of
    learning and self-organizing.

    In other words, athletes *program* themselves
    to "react in advance", which totally supports
    the central thesis of the paper.

    As an example: In my volleyball career, I found
    I was much more comfortable at the AA level than
    at the B level. Physically, I was never fast
    enough to compensate for all the weird places
    the ball might go at the C level -- from my own
    team, as well as others. But at the AA level, I
    could "read" the players. I knew what they
    intended to do as they did it, and they had the
    skills to carry out their intentions -- so I was
    always "comfortable" in a way that I never could
    be at at the B level, much less the C level.

    Henry van Eyken wrote:

    > Eric:
    >
    > Just a few quick notes.
    >
    > In the process of paying due regard to the larger purpose of Doug's
    > technical work, i.e. the solving of large-scale societal conundrums, I
    > feel
    > a need to hastely travel along various byways. Currently that is
    > reading a
    > 1999 book by John McCrone called "Going Iside" and which provides an
    > insight
    > in neuroscience. I haven't quite gotten halfway yet, but I recognize
    > pattern in your argument that corresponds to some of the stuff in the
    > book.
    >
    > The neural system, it appears, has a way of ducking the crucial
    > element of
    > time. I am just in a part where the author discusses athletic
    > achievements.
    > By their training athletes have unconsciously come to rely on clues
    > that
    > beat the "critical dimension of time" mentioned in your Conclusion.
    > (Ref.
    > the chapter, "A moment of anticipation.".) I haven't sunk deep enough
    > into
    > the subject yet to provide a decent summary, but it looks to me that
    > Minsky's "Society of Mind" (1985) and Dennett's "Consciousness
    > Explained"
    > (1991) are rather dated sources in the fast-moving world neuroscience
    > with
    > its ongoing upheaval of ideas.
    >
    > I kind of suspect that Dennis Hamilton is informed about some of this
    > stuff.
    > And referring to his post "Collective Intelligence," I was going to
    > contact
    > you to find out from what post of yours he quoted. At any rate, I can
    > see
    > now where you are coming from.
    >
    > My guess is that you may find quite a bit of inspiration in McCrone's
    > book
    > for a fruitful review of your article. Hope I am not leading you down
    > the
    > garden path.
    >
    > Henry
    >
    > Eric Armstrong wrote:
    >
    > > I had planned to work on the KRNL library this
    > > weekend, to clean it up some. I didn't get to that.
    > > But as a consolation prize, I have a solution to
    > > the A/I "frame" problem.
    > >
    > > Write up at:
    > > http://www.treelight.com/essays/darwinframe.html
    > >
    > > I'm thinking this might be appropriate for Scientific
    > > American, or Discovery, or some such layman's guide
    > > to science. Anyone have any editorial contacts?
    > >

    > > Community email addresses:
    > > Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
    > > Subscribe: unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com
    > >
    > > Shortcut URL to this page: