[unrev-II] Now, we're cooking! was Re: DKRs without the "K"

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 08:16:09 PST

    Lee,
    This is a great insight. In fact, I'm cross-postiing this response to open
    the discussion to others who are not on OHS-DEV.

    I have been a great fan of groves. I watched a demo of GroveMinder, in
    which a single web page was created from a Word document and an Excel
    spreadsheet, all through the grove engine. What they have is a basic engine
    coupled to plug in adaptors, each of which is coded specifically for a given
    document type. GroveMinder lets you write your own adaptors in Python and
    just plug them in. (BTW: I have not been eager to climb the SGML mountain,
    which is why I am enthused by the possibility of doing groves and HyTime in
    XML).

    I mentioned this before, but at this URL, http://www.inxar.org/ , there is a
    discussion and javadoc for what the author told me is a different way of
    thinking about groves. His metaphor is that of lilly pads in a pond.

    A distributed grove engine, of which GroveMinder just might be an instance,
    coupled with distributed document management tools, if not a killer app,
    will certainly be an OHS core technology. I think OHS core technology will,
    itself, be a killer app.

    Cheers
    Jack