RE: [unrev-II] Email based on invitation & introduction

From: Dennis E. Hamilton (infonuovo@email.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 13:33:06 PDT

    In "Beyond Calculation: The Next Fifty Years of Computing" edited by Peter
    Denning and Bob Metcalfe, there is a chapter by Fernando Flores on "The
    Leaders of the Future." (Full citations at
    http://www.infonuovo.com/orcmid/readings/milieu.htm under [Flores97].) It
    addresses models for powerfully forwarding cooperative projects through
    rigorous communication.

    I have applied some of those ideas in managing my own projects through
    communication. It seems to me that Introduction is a way of creating
    relatedness and finding common purpose. I endorse that. Invitation would
    be a request, in the Flores model, I think. I find no need for a rejection
    notice. An interaction or project works or it doesn't, corrections are put
    in or they aren't. If something isn't working, then alterations in the
    relationship occur, and new arrangements are made based on what the parties
    can count on each other for (or not) as part of moving ahead. This can
    include cessation of a project and finding an alternative arrangement,
    perhaps excluding one of the parties.

    If there is some sort of peer-review or other assessment of how well certain
    individuals deliver in various areas, I would want that to be done by some
    means like what they look for on sourceXchange and other brokering systems
    for bringing people and projects together.

    Sometimes, structures for rigorous communication can seem cold-hearted. My
    sense is that these are applied most powerfully inside a view of the world
    where everyone's contribution matters and there is commitment and alignment
    around a common purpose out of which every participant will receive value.
    And there are times when an arrangement is not working or there are
    conflicting agendas. I have found it powerful to use these structures to
    identify that rather than attempting to drag a load of unidentified and
    heavy baggage along.

    -- Dennis

    AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator
    AIIM DMware http://www.infonuovo.com/dmware