[unrev-II] "As We May Think", The Exploratories Project & a Tour of Mindmapping Links

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 19:09:57 PDT

    "As We May Think" by Vannevar Bush - J U L Y 1 9 4 5
    <http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/flashbks/computer/bushf.htm>

    James Burke, writer and host of BBC’s “Connections 3” series also says
    this:
    “The Internet may bring destabilizing effects of information overload
    that will operate on a scale and at a rate well beyond anything that has
    happened before. Information abundance will stress society in ways for
    which it has not been prepared and damage centralized social systems
    designed to function in a nineteenth-century world.” - The Knowledge
    Web, p 22.

    The Exploratories Project
    <
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/graphics/research/exploratory/explore/siteMaps/mainSiteMap.html>

    "Until recently, sitemaps were hand-drawn or script-drawn tree diagrams.
    Now browsers that support eXtensible markup language (XML) offer more
    elaborate sitemaps as a special feature. The newer sitemaps provide a
    hierarchical description of a site, written in the resource description
    framework (RDF), an XML application still being developed as a standard
    by the World Wide Web Consortium. For example, Netscape's Mozilla finds
    RDF sitemaps by looking for (LINK rel=sitemap) tags in your Web pages.
    This tag tells Mozilla to open the sitemap and then render the site
    diagram as part of the graphical display of the user agent. While
    sitemaps themselves may not be the niftiest things in the world, they do
    occupy a noteworthy position on the Web's timeline as one of the first
    implementations of RDF. " ... Includes links to Bootstrap.org
    <
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/graphics/research/exploratory/resources/hypertext/home.html

    Tour of mindmapping links
    < http://www.1-900-870-6235.com/Navigation/mapping.htm#mindmap >