Re: [unrev-II] "As We May Think", etc.

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 02:32:02 PDT

    Well said Henry.
    The idea that nature is not survival of the fittest, but actually survival
    of the luckiest needs to be heeded.
    And then, as you say, humans have been lucky enough to develop some
    interesting faculties, that enable **the species as a whole** to create a
    bit more luck for themselves.

    The point in that kurzweil article that was of most positive interest (that
    he chose not to develop) was that this chance creation of faculties that
    enables us to steer our luck to some degree has created a situation where a
    much greater diversity of genetic traits survive and are considered
    valuable.

    That for me is the message I would want to carry into any Global Brain
    effort: That some global knowledge space accessible for all not only extends
    our luck-making capacity as a species, but also exists as a space where open
    democratic diversity is promoted free from physical encumbrances.
    That certainly does not mean that we should let sloppy thinking pass
    unchallenged though. Especially not where those thoughts have implications
    for our physical existence should they be implemented.

    A few notes from the record of history:
    "I've come up with this great idea for some stuff that goes 'bang!'"
    "Won't that be a bit dangerous if it's misused?"
    "Well, we'll worry about that later."
    Gunpowder.

    "I've found some new stuff that makes my engine run much more powerfully."
    "What about all that smoke and gas coming out of the pipe at the back?"
    "Well, we'll worry about that later."
    Petrol engines.

    "I've come up with this great idea for splitting atoms so that we can hold
    the power of the sun in our hands."
    "Won't that be a bit dangerous if it's misused?"
    "Well, yes, I am rather worried about that. We'll write a memo to the
    government on the dangers of developing weapons with this technology."
    Nuclear weapons.

    "I've come up with this great idea for a pesticide that kills just about
    every bug imaginable, and then some."
    "What happens after it has killed all the bugs?"
    "Well, let's worry about that later."
    DDT.

    And on and on and on...

    ... A global knowledge space accessible for all not only extends our
    luck-making capacity as a species, but also exists as a space where open
    democratic diversity is promoted free from physical encumbrances.
    This I am in favour of as long as it doesn't promote crime in the physical
    world.

    A vast artificial intelligence capable of controlling all the machines in
    the world, able to reproduce itself and its drones at will?
    I believe any project heading in that direction requires us to think things
    through with a level of discipline beyond any yet seen.

    Peter