Re: [unrev-II] More on MS and open source

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 11:13:43 PDT

    Very good story! It brings up a couple of thoughts:

    1. What about Ximian & OHS?

    2. What can our e-journal do to enhance public computer literacy? Particularly make people comfortable with open-source OS.

    3. Which Linux desktop is from De Icaza?

    I would particularly like to see a discussion around Item 2. Maybe after a bit of rambling and wrong tacks, we can develop a viable plan. That
    plan ought include some assessment of what the "curriculum" for public computency should include.

    One testimony to the lack of this "human system - tool system co-evolution" is that a huge number of people are buying new computers simply
    because they are afraid to try "upgrading" an operating system. Computer manufacturers love new OS versions for that reason. But it says
    something about our society.

    Henry

    Henry

    Jack Park wrote:

    > http://www.washtech.com/news/software/12296-1.html
    >
    > Great story on Ximian, Mexico, and MS.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Jack

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM