[unrev-II] Library of Congress $100M Digital Preservation Project; potential funding for HyperScope/OHS/DKR?

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@netzero.net)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 15:21:42 PDT

    October, 2001, MIT Enterprise Technology Review
    Digital Preservation
    By Claire Tristram
    < http://www.technologyreview.com/magazine/oct01/innovation5.asp >

    Software
    "Increasingly, the record of our civilization is becoming digital, from
    census data to family photos. The Library of Congress alone has 35
    terabytes of files. Yet rapid changes in computers and software could
    render this data unreadable.

    Congress recently allocated the library $100 million to look for a way
    to preserve its files—one of the most ambitious efforts yet to tackle
    digital obsolescence. "With that money we'll be able to gather the
    technical people and the archivists and start to develop a prototype,"
    says Abby Smith, preservation program officer with the Council on
    Library and Information Resources, which is working on the project.

    Part of the challenge is that computers and software gallop ahead, while
    digital files remain static. The library's current solution is to
    convert files to work with the updated systems every few years, but
    "every time you convert something, you change it," says Jeff Rothenberg,
    researcher at the Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, CA. Rothenberg
    instead sees a solution in emulation software that can mimic a given
    hardware platform, allowing one computer to act like an earlier one. To
    demonstrate the approach's feasibility, he created a chain of emulators
    linking a present-day PC to the 1949 EDSAC, one of the first computers.
    "I was able to run any of the original EDSAC programs that were saved on
    paper tape," he says.

    Ray Lorie, research fellow at IBM's Almaden Research Center in San Jose,
    CA, is working on an approach that creates a digital road map of a
    document at the time of its creation. Write a document, say, in Adobe
    Premier, and the software generates a second file that describes the
    content and formatting of the original document using a simple code.
    That code would be readable by a "universal virtual computer"—an
    emulator that mimics, not an earlier machine, but a hypothetical,
    extremely simple computer. "In the future we'd only need some way of
    interpreting this single virtual computer," says Lorie.

    While the Library of Congress appropriation won't solve the problem of
    digital preservation, it will allow for the first large-scale testing of
    possible solutions like Lorie's and Rothenberg's. "The Library of
    Congress project has a high enough profile that we might be able to get
    the attention of technology industry, and to finally get some answers,"
    says Smith."

    NetZero Platinum
    Only $9.95 per month!
    Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM