Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Greenstone information management

Greenstone has a home http://www.greenstone.org/english/home.html
Greenstone at sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/greenstone/  (no cvs)    (01)

The Greenstone developers document speaks of Greenstone Markup Language.  From
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/XML4Lib/archive/0103/0025.html    (02)

"In the next version odf the Greenstone digital library software, every
document will be imported to Greenstone Markup Language (GML), which will
be valid XML. (The existing GML format is not always valid XML.)
Any document added to a collection - be it an HTML file, word document,
PDF, BibTex or Refer bibliographic database - is converted internally to
GML, and then used to build full text and fielded search indexes, browsing
interfaces, and so on. We haven't (as far as I know) got a plugin for
handling MARC records (depending on format - we could import them as text
or HTML easily enough). I haven't tried converting other XML formats into
GML, though maybe I'll try it with the medline records you mentioned
(writing new Greenstone plugins is pretty easy)."    (03)

The post is by Gordon W. Paynter (http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~paynter/)    (04)

who has for download KEA (gpl) which is a key phrase extractor (Java)
http://www.nzdl.org/Kea/    (05)

One wonders if Kea could be modified to work with GML files of Greenstone.    (06)

At http://people.cs.uct.ac.za/~ahaefele/proposal/index.htm there is a
proposal for applying Greenstone to pda technology.
http://www.chi-sa.org.za/CHI-SA2001/proceedings/smallscreens.pdf is another
such document.    (07)

At http://adl2000.kaist.ac.kr/tutorials.htm, there may be (I haven't tried
it yet) a tutorial on Greenstone by Ian Witten.    (08)

http://www.cg.cs.tu-bs.de/V3D2/ECDL01/slides/GeneralizedDocs-ECDLworkshop.pd
f is a document that discusses Greenstone and its markup language.    (09)

The document "MARIAN Searching and Querying across Heterogeneous Federated
Digital Libraries" is found at
http://www.ercim.org/publication/ws-proceedings/DelNoe01/11_Fox.pdf    (010)