Re: [ba-ohs-talk] release of mhpurple.pl v0.1

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 cdent@burningchrome.com wrote:    (01)

> Also, the tar file is currently a bit wonky. (I pulled it down today,
> December 28th). The current table of contents is like this:    (02)

Ugh.  Careless on my part.  I'll fix it (when I get access to my
development machine again) and release a corrected version.    (03)

> Eugene, could I get from you the rc file that bootstrap uses, plus the
> stylesheets involved in the archives? I'd like to experiment with them
> to see what I can work out.    (04)

I've posted sample rc files at:    (05)

    http://www.eekim.com/software/mhonarc/ba-test/    (06)

> - people insist (a shame I think) on sending HTML mail. Effective archives
>   either need to translate those to text and give them purple numbers,
>   or mhpurple needs to get involved with the HTML messages as well.
>   Can MIMEFILTERS be stacked?    (07)

Sort of.  MIMEFILTERS are just Perl code, so you can call one from
another.  This is how mhtxtplain.pl works.  It looks at the message, and
if it decides it's actually an HTML message, it passes the message to the
HTML filter.    (08)

Quickie poll for people on this list who use HTML mail: Why?  Is there a
reason, or is it simply the default setting of your MUA?    (09)

> - archive maintainers may find purple numbers a little easier to
>   swallow if the style sheet info could be inlined in some fashion
>   (thus minimizing the number of adjustments that would be necessary to
>   add purple numbers to an existing archive setup)    (010)

Not sure exactly what you mean here.  Could you clarify?    (011)

> I don't I understand the current value of the link type field in the
> link database. What's the goal there?    (012)

To bring some sense to the backlink database.  I may want to limit a
graphical visualization of the data from the link database to certain
types (for instance, "emailresponse").  Or, when searching a backlink
database, I may want to attach greater weight to links of one type over
another.  In the future, this backlink database and the type field in
particular could be used to support IBIS-style linking between documents
(e.g. This document is an Idea for this Issue; this document is a Con of
this Idea; etc.).    (013)

-Eugene    (014)

--
+=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
|       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |