Re: MSWord2k Cleanser Tool: Re: [ba-ohs-talk] (not) eating your own dogfood

More on this (might as well promote the ideas while the fire is hot):
> http://www.concept67.fsnet.co.uk/xml/    (01)

I have an extra perl script in there that adds XML heirarchy to HTML
according to the heading levels using <div> tags.
A minor edit of the perl would provide a different tag name if that
bivalence wasn't desired.
However, it's handy. If I serve it with one MIMEtype I get HTML in the
browser, with a different MIMEtype it's XML and behaves in the browser or
DOM accordingly.    (02)

The XSLT stylesheet is also configured to leave all the 'class="Blahstyle" '
tags on elements.
So you can create XML from WordHTML, add heirarchy, and then add styles
using a CSS stylesheet based on the Word style names that are preserved into
the HTML.
If you have Word style templates in your organisation then you can be
consistent in your CSS with respect to those styles.
If you don't add the CSS some stuff doesn't look too neat, but all the
heading levels and paragraphs and tables get preserved, so it's all legible,
if dowdy.    (03)

Good ideas, but the tool is a gross stream of consciousness hack in the
main. It needs refinement in the HTML clean-up stage.
Using it's present, poorly designed, massively wasteful algorithm it (the
beta app) will process a 100page Word doc in around 15-17seconds.    (04)

Oh, and it's designed to batch process (but no fancy multi-threading, just
sequential).    (05)

The beta app left some character refs unhandled, but I'm hoping the simple
cure in the new alpha takes care of that.    (06)

Like I said, I hacked this a while back, v crudely, and subsequent to that
time I've seen one or two more coherent applications raise their heads.
Still, if you like the freedom to configure just about any part of it at the
code level, it's pretty good in that sense.    (07)

Enjoy,
Peter    (08)