Re: [ba-ohs-talk] new version of graph model paper posted

Eric Armstrong wrote:    (01)

> Eugene Eric Kim wrote:
>

>>Thanks to the great feedback I received, I think I'm nearing a conceptual
>>breakthrough as to how to think about the OHS. ...
>>
>>The term that I settled on was "hyperdocument." ...
>>
>>A hyperdocument, as I express it, expresses data and their
>>relationships with each other.  Documents are simply two-dimensional views
>>of a hyperdocument.
>
> YES!!!!
> Brilliant.    (02)

I hate to sound kinda daft, but what are you two on about? Isn't
this pretty common knowledge? I'd hate to think I'd had this thing
in my head for years and had somehow misunderstood the rest of
technical culture's measure of the term. Not to deride Eugene's
paper at all, which I think is quite valuable.    (03)

For an example, if you check my KMi home page at    (04)

    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/    (05)

you'll see that I consider that a copy of Ceryle, loaded with an
author's information, is itself (because it allow that author the
ability to create, navigate and manipulate complex content via
various types of links) a hyperdocument, such that any exported
files (ie., documents) are themselves only lesser-dimensioned
"views" of the Ceryle system as a hyperdocument. But honestly,
while I thought this was a pretty cool concept I didn't think
it was either entirely novel or especially brilliant. I mean,
when back at NASA I developed a Mac HyperCard-based HTML authoring
tool that had built-in entity management (each card was a document,
and any document could be used as an entity in any other, so you
could manage headers and footers, and &currentDate;, etc.), it
had the ability to update via ftp the entire web site contained
within it, and I gave it away. It was called "HTML.edit" and it
got favourable reviews. But this was quite a long time ago.    (06)

Then again, I guess Doug was doing some of this before I was
born.    (07)

So wassup?    (08)

Murray    (09)

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (010)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (011)