[ba-ohs-talk] Autonomic Computing for a Breakthrough

Jack,    (01)

This is the point Henry van Eykan was aiming toward the other day.
Experience shows that an executive need not be an expert at hammering
nails and turning wrenches to manage a successful contracting company,
so too, an executive need not be an expert at manipulating code nor
designing computer chips to manage a successful computer company, nor
be a good truck driver to manage a trucking company etc, etc.  But at
this stage to use technology for knowledge management, as defined in
POIMS....    (02)

http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#HO4H    (03)

...there are many detailed hardware and software tasks an executive
must address that take up a lot of cognitive overhead and have nothing
to do with solving world problems or managing an organization.  This
delta means that for the period ahead only a few folks will be able to
do KM as a support role to advance from IT to  culture of knowledge.
You and others have hinted at this idea in commenting on some kind of
bead master.  My sense is that more is needed to develop skills and a
cultural niche for intelligence support.     (04)

Second, Eric's recollection about a "breakthrough" on the design for
technology to augment intelligence by transcending from the model of
"documents" to a more robust concept of knowledge may have been his
letter on 000212....    (05)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/02/12/193428.HTM#G49J    (06)

....following up a key question he posed on 000208....    (07)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/02/08/013124.HTM#4320    (08)

Moving beyond documents to a continuous information stream that is
converted by an intelligence process into knowledge, as explained in
POIMS....    (09)

http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#034J    (010)

..., and which you noted on 000503....    (011)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/05/03/191727.HTM#6138    (012)

...is a major breakthrough essential for using technology for
improving communication and strengthening continual learning, as you
discussed on 011029....    (013)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/10/29/214344.HTM#0001    (014)

The good news is that once folks adjust to a new paradigm, many
seemingly disparate paths merge into a new foundation on which to
build Doug's ABC capabilities, as discussed recently on 020404....    (015)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/02/04/04/182717.HTM#ZO7G    (016)

All of this redounds, however, to the need for greater attention to
autonomic computer capability, as related in the material you
submitted today.      (017)

We are barely at the stage of Gutenberg in 1455 who had a great
technology for better handling of information, called out by Doug's
1972 paper, but they didn't have skilled people, the right kind of ink
and paper to make a paying proposition. So it took another hundred
years and an event like Luther nailing his 95 issues on the Church
door for enabling forces to coalesce into sufficient force for a new
way of working and thinking to achieve a breakthrough.    (018)

It would be interesting to hear from others what enabling forces are
forming that portend a critical mass necessary to launch another
breakthrough.    (019)

Rod    (020)