Re: [ba-ohs-talk] More bad news about the GPL License: Fwd: [Gxl] GCC Licencing and XML extracts

If you are interested, here is a list of licenses and
descriptions of them.
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/licenses.html    (01)

>>The only thing we absolutely require is that
>>anyone
>>distributing GPL'd works or works made from >>GPL'd
works distribute in
>>turn under GPL.     (02)

Now lets look again a modification of a GPLed program
that might go around the license..    (03)

The real issue at hand is the destructive modification
of a GPLed program.    (04)

Any GPLed program can be modified so that
dumps/extracts all of its data in such a way that
allows for it to be used without adhering/violating
the GPL licenses.    (05)

By dumping all of the important data into a file and
the parsing of that file by a non-free program, people
can abuse the GPLed program.    (06)

The issue here is of the amount of dependancy of that
non-free program on the GPLed program. If it could not
exist without the GPLed program, then it is dependent
and may be a derived work.     (07)

If it is a derived work, it could be subject to the
GPL and might be forced to be made free.    (08)

That is the problem of the usage of the GCC programs
for extraction of facts from existing programs. The
extraction of essential data is an issue that is not
covered explicitly by the GPL.     (09)

That is why I wrote about this issue to begin with.    (010)

Mike    (011)

=====
James Michael DuPont    (012)