[ba-ohs-talk] Augmentation of the third kind

Let's refer to augmenting human capabilities with tools, from stone hammer
through an OHS, as augmentation of just one kind.    (01)

Then, we might refer to direct control of devices by human thought as
augmentation of a second kind.    (02)

Currently, we  find ourselves entering an era of an exploding grasp and
practice of an augmentation of the third kind: neurotechnological
enhancement of mental capacity by electronics and by cogniceuticals:
http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=1143317    (03)

And it is interesting to contemplate how augmentation of the human
intellect by an increasingly intensive manipulation of symbols drawn from
an expanding array can further compound neurotechnological augmentation.    (04)

O, brother.    (05)

See also:
:http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?Story_ID=1143583    (06)

Henry    (07)