RE: Another such tool: Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Mind mapping tool

Danny,    (01)

Actually the RDF component as it currently stands is the work of Simon
Buckingham Shum's group at the Knowledge Media Institute at the OU/UK, part
of the CoAKTinG project (http://www.aktors.org/coakting), as is the Jabber
integration. They would be better to describe where that's going (I know
that part of it is integration with tools like ScholOnto). Currently,
Compendium (formerly called Mifflin) imports and exports XML, including the
ability to represent nodes linked to other nodes in multiple views, and it
exports a particular RDF format. It also exports an outline-format HTML and
a more graphical VML. The database schema and DTD are public and open.    (02)

I'd be interested in learning more about how other tools represent nodes in
multiple views, and how they leverage that. A quick view of what Compendium
allows with this: if a node is in more than one view, a visual indication
of that appears on each view that it's in. You can also click on the node
and find out what other views it's in, as well as what other nodes it's
linked to in each of those views. In past projects we have used that
property to express and query a lot of 'deep' relationships, such as the
interractions of systems, tasks, people, and other resources in complex
business processes (for an example, see
http://kmi.open.ac.uk/kmi-abstracts/kmi-tr-92-abstract.html).    (03)

The Compendium Institute web site clearly needs a lot of updating, sorry to
all if it isn't helpful at present. It's been more of a research/community
site than a product site, since Compendium is not a product per se. We'll
find time to do that soon, I hope.    (04)

Best,    (05)

Al    (06)

"Danny Ayers" <danny666@virgilio.it>@bootstrap.org on 10/29/2002 07:44:31
AM    (07)