[ba-unrev-talk] tool oriented approach to augmentation

For a final project last semester I was to write a short paper somehow
related to human computer interaction. In the early days of that class
I was struck by Suchman's discussion of idea that people view the
computer as an interactive device, one that is often perceived as
having intention.    (01)

I didn't like this notion at all so spent the rest of the semester
trying to create an alternate view. This paper is part of the result.    (02)

It is available here:    (03)

  The Computer as Tool
  From Interaction to Augmentation
  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/slis/l542/useTools.htm    (04)

I'd appreciate any feedback people may have. People may find it
relevant to the topics discussed on this list.    (05)

I should warn you that it is very compressed. There's a great deal of
stuff that could have gone into the paper that was left out for space
purposes and it was rather hastily put together. I mention Engelbart
in only one sentence while it would have been possible to use some of
his work support much of the paper.    (06)

--
Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/    (07)