Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Fun article

Yes, a fun article ... with tiny boobytraps laid by the unaugmented human mind .    (01)

Zimmer's lead paragraph made me recall Rex Harrison's outcry in the movie
Pygmalion: "Why aren't women more like men?" Zimmer's plaint, "Why aren't
scientists more like engineers?" also overlooks the fact that one kind
complements the other. Scientists surmize facts about nature that engineers may
usefully apply - in part to make tools for scientists to surmize more facts about
nature that ... and so on.    (02)

Another tiny item that struck me is that I used to believe it is fuzzy logic that
found application in building washing machines and vacuum cleaners, not chaos
theory. Ah, nitpicking maybe, but kind of reminds me of Michael Gazzanigga's
quip, "Some of my best memories are false." Consider it an example of a problem
that arises from a growth of knowledge so rapid that individuals can get ever
more easily balled up by making all sorts of clever inferences too hastely.
College professors included, for all I know.    (03)

Also, and I may be dead wrong here, but I have become inclined to believe - as I
believe Eric does - that even though brains have created computers, computers may
not ever make brains. Hence I love Zimmer's parabel of the four notes and
Mahler's Ninth.    (04)

Henry    (05)

Eric Armstrong wrote:    (06)