[ba-unrev-talk] [Idea] No, but...Re: [Question]prevent and pre-empt the patenting of extensions and [Question-2]What counts as an extension

Two very related (imho) questions have been asked.    (01)

So far as I know, the only way a patent can be prevented is by showing
prior art.    (02)

What's important here, it seems to me, is the nature of an *extension*
(presumably to a licensed artifact).    (03)

I will, in fact, reply to Question-2 with another response, but that will
be to offer my defining conceptualization: an extension is some artifact
that relies on that which it extends.    (04)

Given that definition, then, I think, the license terms under which the
extension is created might have the ability, if not to prevent, to at least
keep development in that direction open under some specific terms required
to satisfy the license.  I think GPL and the Apple Public License have
words to the effect that any patent requires a royalty-free license to use
the technology within the context of the original artifact and its
(patented) extension.    (05)

Warning: I'm not a lawyer. Never played one on TV, either.    (06)

At 07:17 PM 6/10/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Question:
>Is it possible to prevent and pre-empt the patenting of extensions by
>others?    (07)

and    (08)

Question 2:
What counts as an extension?    (09)