Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Fwd: [xml-dev] OFFTOPIC: the dangers of shortsightedness

Actually, there's a fairly simple razor that has served me
pretty well over the years:
     Build the simplest program you want,
     but get the stored data structures right.    (01)

When the data formats are good, you can change and
evolve the manipulating program(s) practically forever.
But data structures that don't give you the flexibility you
need can be murder.    (02)

The naming problem Jack posted is essentially a data
structure problem (what format for name data). The
limits give you fits, and programs tend to depend on those
limits in ways that create a long ripples.    (03)

In today's world, I would add "interchange structures" as
an important element in the data design.    (04)

"Garold (Gary) L. Johnson" wrote:    (05)