Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Ontologies and volunteers

Ah, Mei Lin, a nice change of topic after days devoted to Prof. Weed's
problem-knowledge coupler, topic maps, and the exploration of NexistWiki.    (01)

Actually, we had a brief moment with definitions as well. It then struck me that
children surmize the meaning of words by guessing their meaning from personal
contexts, and we may still do so. No dictionary defined words for the benefit of
young children. And in Jack Park's book "XML Topic Maps," he points to the
circularity of some definitions where A is defined as being B, and B is defines as
being A.    (02)

I was intrigued by Gary's ethymology of education. I believe it to derive from the
Latin educo, -are, originally to mean broadcasting, as in sowing. Checking my Latin
dictionaries, I found also an educo, educere. This last one indeed means to draw
out, but educare means to bring up, rear, educate. Educator means both
foster-father and tutor. The noun educatio, -onis means rearing, training,
education.    (03)

Peter Jones wrote:    (04)