Visual panoramas: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] "Collective IQ" cannot exist

I like this comment by sphealey:    (01)

"The first topic for the online concensus-building system should be a discussion
of whether such technology really works, or even helps.
"Over the last 15 years I have participated in quite a few document management,
groupware, collaboration, and automated document generation tool
implementations. In between I have also worked on some fairly big (200 million
USD) engineering projects. Care to guess the best "collaboration tool" I have
ever used? A red marking pen (I like Uniball Fine Point), a large table, the
marked-up hardcopies from the 4-5 people actually participating in the work (out
of the 200 "involved"), and a fresh copy to write the final version. Sometimes I
even used a scissors and tape to "cut and paste".
"The system beat all the groupware and collaboration software I have used by 3
or 4 orders of magnitude."    (02)

He's talking about a winning technology that no-one seems to have captured as PC
software yet(?).
Why not?
Because the key factor in that tool (imho) is "a large table". Emphasis on
large; large visual panorama, easy to scan, all in focus.
I've edited books (1000+pp & multi-author) in the past and have often found that
to get a high level of coherence the large table wasn't large enough, so we used
a significant tract of floorspace instead.
Incidentally, this process still requires dead-tree hard copy too.
All-electronic desktop publishing? No, the screen's too small.    (03)

--
Peter    (04)