Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Fwd: [issues] Ockham's Razor

Seconded.    (01)

With respect, I think it is no longer possible to divorce discussion of
augmentation from discussion of the social relations into which it is bound. The
biggest complex, urgent problem on offer is to work out how to take our
collective foot off the accelerator pedal of obsession with capital
accumulation. To recognise that is to see that every piece of augmentation
developed has an economic and socio-political impact. Even GPL'ed (and similarly
licensed) software doesn't escape that situation - i.e. it's dubious as to
whether GPLing software slows the train at all, rather than giving businesses
extra profit without having to pay properly for the labour. I believe Messrs.
Stallman and co. meant well, but the ubiquity of the existing social relations
does appear to undermine the laudable intent.
I believe it is therefore imperative to ask at every turn how a piece of
(purportedly) augmenting technology contributes to the social framework. It is
true that we can't really predict the future with enormous precision, but then
it is possible to treat a generalisation like the existing social frameworks at
that broad abstract level and to make a reasonable estimate of the optimum
outcome. And that has got to be better than blundering forth in ignorance.    (02)

Regards,
--
Peter    (03)