RE: [ba-unrev-talk] Re: Corporate Morality

I believe that it makes sense for all affected people to decide, for example, that it would be desirable to have food production be less centralized. Given that goal, multiple alternatives at various levels could be examined from a technical / engineering perspective, and the resulting possible approaches presented back to the people with a clear analysis of the pros and cons and the issues involved. IBIS-like structures work for some of this, but a significant part is the sort of discussion that says that the following N elements of the proposed solutions have been discovered and considered important, what are the relative importances? Once discussion has provided at least a partial ordering, the various approaches, and maybe some new ones can be examined based on those relative importances. This is what we claim we should do when designing systems for use by a specific audience, and I see no reason why a similar approach won’t work with larger groups if we can provide honest information.

Part of what happens today is that most proposals are already polarized by the time we hear that there is even a discussion. We are then presented with a single “solution” in terms of some proposed legislation. The advocates say it is a great idea and that opponents are short sighted, stupid, rude, etc. The opponents say it is a terrible idea and that advocates are short sighted, stupid, rude, etc.

The use of various argumentation structures is being pursued, and there is some real possibility for ways of presenting the elements of even complex problems in such a way that they can be grasped by people who are not experts in the specific area of the problem. If these are enhanced to support the sort of partial ordering of concerns that allow for describing how various sorts of trade-offs should be treated, I think it should be possible to allow huge numbers of people to participate in the discussions in a meaningful way. Discussion needs to be transformed into the argumentation presentation periodically since it does appear to be difficult to do this at the time of entry. One of the meta-questions that needs to be addressed continually in such a system is “does the transformation into the argumentation system capture accurately all of the points made in the original discussion.

Some of the tools that Stafford Beer has proposed (http://www.staffordbeer.com/papers/Origins%20Team%20Syntegrity.pdf ) provides ways for “working groups” to address issues with all points of view getting expressed, and to avoid polarization.

By using the input form all stakeholders to determine what factors are important and what sorts of outcomes are desired, it may then be possible to design the systems that will provide features that are maximally satisfying.

Every such discussion needs to have a “none of the above” selection.

In “The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress,” one of Heinlein’s characters tosses out several ideas for the structuring of a new government. Among the ideas that sound interesting are:

  • Have 2 legislative bodies. One can pass laws, but only with a 2/3 majority. The second can repeal laws with only a 1/3 minority. The logic is that any legislation that cannot win the approval of 2/3 of those involved is likely not very good, and any legislation that is actively opposed by as little as 1/3 of those involved is also likely not very good.
  • Have some representatives be able to be elected by getting 10,000 people to approve him/her and the representative would represent those 10,000 people.

One thing is clear to me – the most local solution that works deserves a high degree of consideration. I can’t say that this is necessarily the best, but the closer any system is to meeting the needs of all involved, the better it is, and that is easier to do when the number involved is smaller rather than larger. The more people are affected, the more likely it is that there will have to be “special cases” to account for the more local issues that arise.

Clearly, more people would participate if the barriers were not so high. Along with the technology of information systems, we need to understand and find ways to deals with such things as polarization of discussion. Whenever we can succeed at getting all parties on the same side in pursuit of improvements to the existing scene, we stand a chance of reaching solutions that do the best possible job of meeting the needs of the people. Once the people take sides against each other instead of against the problem, it gets very difficult to make any progress towards a solution.

Thanks,

Garold (Gary) L. Johnson