Re: [unrev-II] Lifestreams

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 16:20:16 PDT

    Jack Park writes:

    > The welchco site is a rather detailed personal journal. An early
    > question derived from this observation is this: do we want
    > to capture personal journals in the DKR?

    There isn't any harm in doing so, but I'm not sure how valuable it
    is, either. In my "firewalled" section of the requirements, I address
    the need for private vs. public DKRs. You "publish" from the private DKR
    by putting into the public version, I think. That implies a way to keep
    track of *which* public DKRs it has gone into, so that only
    version-differences are sent when publishing subsequently.

    Along those lines, an email forum is a "diary" of interactions. The
    reduction step consists of abstracting the thoughts they contain,
    effectively replacing them in a subsequent version of the document.

    The diary system at Rod's site is difficult to follow because (given the
    technology available at the time) everything is done with links. What
    you want, though, is for much of the material to be "inline" instead of
    linked. When you publish a "reduced" version, the material that was
    originally inline becomes relegated to a link -- a link which is
    identified as something that points to "supporting information" or
    "original arguments" or the like, so you know you don't want to follow
    it unless you are particulary interested in deeper information.

    Where things get messy is when I do one reduction and you do another.
    We now have competing versions of the summary. The original discussion
    now has a higher-level fork, where my document points to the original
    version, and your document points to the original version, but both of
    these are under some *other* node -- where they may themselves be
    summarized, or where evaluations by different folks may lead to one of
    them being chosen as the "better" reformulation of the issues.

    Understanding what happens at such times is one of the things we need to
    tackle in the use-case analysis.

    Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
    1. Fill in the brief application
    Apply NOW!