RE: [unrev-II] More TouchGraph2

From: Gil Regev (gil.regev@epfl.ch)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 00:38:21 PDT

    Jack, Alex,

    In my concept mapping applet I have a lot of the code that you are adding to
    TouchGraph. Nodes can be painted in different colors, links can be named. It
    reads the node and link structure from a URL that is given to it by the
    hosting html page. The URL returns an XML file which the applet parses.
    Nodes can contain other nodes. Nodes and links can have URL attachments.
    Post-it notes can be added to nodes and links and act as small chat rooms
    since all users can add in their comments.

    The applet and server form a collaborative platform so that users see in
    slightly delayed real time what others are doing, who is logged in etc.
    There's also a search mechanism.

    I don't have the lens and zoom capabilities which I always wanted to add.

    The code is too tangled though and in bad need of refactoring which is why i
    never dared propose it as open source but a merge with TouchGraph could be
    fun.

    Check it out at http://icapc4.epfl.ch/bootstrap.

    login: Bootstrap
    password: Bootstrap

    Fire up the AWT version, it's faster and has most of the features. The user
    manual link is broken because the applet's capabilities evolved faster than
    I could update the manual.

    It runs fine on Windows machines. On Linux and Mac it's not as good even
    though the code is pure Java.

    Gil