[unrev-II] DKR Development Strategy

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 15:48:28 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Jeff Miller wrote:

> I too would like to see a system design discussed. specific examples
> would be good.
>
> As a start, how about taking a specific document and comparing
> possible methods on encoding, storage, searching, etc ? these are
> generalised concepts. We could then move onto referring to specific
> points (paragraphs, lines, sentences, words), annotating the document,
> versioning, summarisation, etc?
>
> Anyone have a list of features we can test against to see if we meet
> all the requirements?
>
> At the moment I'm leaning towards an xml encoding style...

Hopefully my recent post on requirements can serve as a starting point.

Dick Karpinski wrote:

> I suggest that we seek as many useful sub-projects with tiny costs and
> significant payoffs, that fit into the chosen general plan, as we can.
> We should pay special attention to short term, low cost efforts.

If we can come up with a design that allows development to proceed in
this manner, we are liable to produce a winner.

Free shipping through 1/31/2000 at Visualize.com
where you'll find limited edition prints & photographs
for your home, office, collection or gift-giving needs.