[unrev-II] IT Waste (Was: H-1B controversy)

From: Paul Fernhout (pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 18:37:12 PST

    From: Paul Fernhout <pdfernhout@kurtz-fernhout.com>

    Eugene -

    This is a brilliant point. I've seen this sort of thing in several
    organizations. This would really be a great area to apply many of the
    Bootstrapping ideas.

    Also, check out this link for a debunking of the myth of a software
    shortage:
    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.html
    The conclusion there is in part that companies are not investing in
    retraining their older employees because of impatience and various
    internal myths about the time it takes a good programmer to learn a new
    skill.

    -Paul Fernhout
    Kurtz-Fernhout Software
    Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
    http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

    Eugene Kim wrote:

    > From: Eugene Kim <eekim@eekim.com>
    >
    > Those of you in high-tech are probably aware of the IT worker shortage
    > controversy and the related debate over H-1B visas. This is an
    > interesting article that proposes the problem is not so much a shortage of
    > workers, but rather poor management of the workers organization's already
    > have:
    >
    > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd//20000329/tc/a_road_to_nowhere_85.html
    >
    > IT waste -- a phenomenon well-documented in numerous sources -- is a great
    > metric for organizations not reaching their potential for solving complex
    > problems. This seems to be an excellent target for bootstrapping.
    >
    > -Eugene

    DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
    Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
    Apply NOW!