Re: [unrev-II] Revised Agenda

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 10:21:03 PDT

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > Presentations
    > -------------
    > These are the presentations we currently have on the calendar.
    > * Werner Schaer, Software Productivity Consortium
    > (next meeting)
    > * Doug Engelbart: Augment
    > (whenever ready)
    >
    > Topics
    > ------
    > This is the prioritized list of topics we generated as a result of email
    > participation.
    >
    > 1) The WBI vector
    > --Jack/Adam: Experiences with WBI and Weblets
    > --Jack: An architectural proposal based on experience
    > with WBI
    > --Doug: Anything to add?
    >
    > 2) Building the "Narrative"
    > A verbal picture that clearly presents what the system is,
    > what it does, and gives a view of how it works.
    >
    > 3) Evaluations of "Starter Technologies"
    > These are the early collaboration tools we may well want
    > to employ as we go about designing the next generation
    > system. We could build a starter system ourselves, but it
    > might make sense to use an existing tool for that purpose.
    > [Note: We need to get on to item 3 fast, for Doug's use
    > in Washington, so we may wind up dividing up the list
    > for evaluations in one meeting, then farming out the
    > highly-evaluated possibilities for evaluation by someone
    > else. So this item should be a fairly quick "report/
    > assign activity.]
    >
    > 4) Use Case Scenarios
    > Still very high level. What the people using the system
    > are going to be doing, how it is going to help them.
    > Doug is going to Washington in a month. This exercise
    > will help bring into focus the concrete benefits the
    > system will provide. (Since people can readily visualize
    > concrete benefits, this activity should help with the
    > funding effort.)
    >
    > 5) Technology Roadmap
    > A development plan that shows what we intend to build long
    > term and the release stages we plan to go through to get
    > there.
    >
    > 6) Licensing and Business Model
    > How we are going to do things in a way that makes the
    > results available to humanity, yet provides the income
    > necessary to ensure continued development and
    > concept-marketing (to achieve widespread adoption of
    > interoperating collaboration technologies provided by a
    > large number of vendors, with the ultimate goal of
    > augmenting (collaborative) human intelligence on the
    > shortest possible time scale.

    FYI: Digital-rights-management technology
    Xerox, Microsoft Launch Intellectual Property Firm
    By Bill Roberts

    Xerox and Microsoft Thursday launched a new company they hope will boost the
    nascent
    digital-rights-management market.

    ContentGuard Inc., a spin-off from Xerox based in McLean, Va., will use
    intellectual property
    developed at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center over the past ten years.
    Microsoft holds a
    minority equity stake, the size of which it declined to divulge. It will
    also be a major customer of
    ContentGuard.
    Digital-rights-management technology allows authors, artists, songwriters,
    and programmers to
    protect and control the way in which intellectual property on the Internet
    is used, copied,
    distributed, and purchased. Experts expect various business models to
    evolve, giving publishers
    and others a better way to recover royalties on work distributed over the
    Internet.

    "We're bringing to market a new cross-platform capability that can enhance
    what others are
    already doing or give them something they don't have yet," said Michael
    Miron, ContentGuard's
    CEO and a former Xerox executive.

    Microsoft plans to enable its entire product line with the technology, said
    CEO Steve Ballmer at a
    briefing. Microsoft studied technologies it could buy or build and "it
    became clear that Xerox's
    patent portfolio was the key," he said.

    This summer when Microsoft Reader, a product for displaying electronic
    books, is released, it will
    be the first Microsoft product with ContentGuard technology. All products,
    including
    MediaPlayer, Explorer, Office applications, and the Windows operating system
    itself will
    eventually be ContentGuard-enabled.

    Analysts said the joint venture should provide a boost to the
    digital-rights-management industry,
    which has seen several young players but no maturity.
    "Microsoft embedding these ContentGuard technologies in their products is
    huge," said Alan
    Weintraub, an analyst at the Gartner Group. "We will begin to see an
    industry standard emerge
    now."

    ContentGuard hopes to create a standard with its Extensible rights Markup
    Language (XrML), an
    XML vocabulary. ContentGuard will give away XrML and won't charge royalties.
    Xerox executives
    said more than 20 companies, including Adobe Systems, Barnes & Noble, and of
    course, Microsoft,
    have adopted XrML and an organization has been founded to oversee its
    evolution ( XrML.org).

    Analysts cautioned that XrML isn't a done deal as a standard. "It's just
    proposed at this stage,"
    noted Amy Wohl, an analyst and president of Wohl Associates.

    If ContentGuard and the digital-rights industry are successful, Weintraub
    said, by 2002 the
    Internet could see widespread use of digital-rights-management tools to help
    publishers, other
    creators, and purveyors recover fees and royalties for digital content.
    "This development says
    content isn't free on the Internet," he said.