[unrev-II] Re: Plan for HyperScope-OHS launch and development

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 11:15:19 PDT

    Rod,
    As always, citations to your web pages provide an enormous amount of insight
    into the way you think. It is always a valuable exercise that you provide
    us pointers.

    On the page listed below, you discuss the following:
    On 000601 Curt Carlson, CEO of SRI, is not convinced that Open
    Source is the strongest strategy for developing the DKR.

    Above that quote on that page you relate:
    HyperScope and OHS will be Open-Source development for clear and
    620406 - compelling reasons, stemming from the scale and rate of evolution
    620407 - needed, and from the number of collaborative communities which need
    620408 - be involved, PRO-ACTIVELY

    Then, you say:
    620410 - This is weak.

    And you follow with:
    620425 - Has the study been done; does it show compelling evidence that
    620426 - supports open source development?

    It is nice to be able to peruse your thoughts out in the public and to do so
    in a calm, collected manner in which one has the time to sort out the
    *meanings* (whatever that means) of statements in your personal journal. I
    wish we could all be that open with our thoughts.

    My take is that this is the collected thoughts of an individual carrying the
    baggage of a personal bias towards open source. Nothing in the listed
    citations pays hommage to the fact that thousands of individuals all over
    the world came together to build Linux, an operating system that, indeed,
    has the likes of Microsoft behaving in ways that are terribly
    unprofessional, much like politicians who are trying to win office. Nowhere
    do you cite any of the really important projects ongoing world wide that are
    improving the lot of computer scientists, not to mention moms on the
    internet doing their shopping and so forth.

    For all of this to make complete sense, ultimately, your thoughts need to be
    blended with those of others, not by email, but in a massively similar web
    space. That way, we can all make sense of all of our biases.

    What, in your judgement would constitute *compelling evidence*? Does the
    fact that several dotcoms devoted to open source got great press, not to
    mention a lot of wall street interest, do that? If not, then what?

    Jack