[unrev-II] OHS Core Thoughts

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 12:18:33 PST

    I have put up a pdf file at http://thinkalong.com/ohs/OHS-Core-Thoughts.pdf
    <http://thinkalong.com/ohs/OHS-Core-Thoughts.pdf>
    which allows me to discuss what I am thinking using pictures. As discussion
    progresses, I can make additions and ammendments as necessary. Might even
    do that by the clone and mutate system so that a permanent, ugly, history is
    maintained. Not sure why I put a copyright on it, but my thinking is
    motivated by the idea that all of this should stay within the OHS community
    until our mission is fully underway. (Heck, it should be possible to paste
    in commentary in the form of additional slides so readers don't have to jump
    between there and the Unrev list. OTOH, it should be possible to paste URLs
    of appropriate discussions right on the slides. Gads. What a concept!

    The lone chart is a bubble diagram with OHS as the central balloon. Here, I
    am thinking that the core represents more of an API than a huge investment
    in software. I am thinking that what software will exist in the core will
    be that which provides sockets for all the other widgets to plug into.

    The core should provide services. For instance, I now have one of my topic
    map engines talking to the Ozone database ( http://www.ozone-db.org
    <http://www.ozone-db.org> ). That's a pretty nifty java open source
    database that allows you to store XML classes directly. Thus, I think Ozone
    becomes a candidate for prototyping a core system.

    Another service is coupling to a server for web access. Here, we begin to
    think about the architecture in terms of how one plugs into the core. It
    seems reasonable to expect that both direct (local network) and internet
    access is desirable. Thus, the nature of the arcs between bubbles is a kind
    of socket-like affair in which protocols are established. There are
    several, not the least of which is SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) (
    http://www.develop.com/soap/ <http://www.develop.com/soap/> ) which is
    being supported by IBM, MS, and others. Lots of open source software for
    SOAP. Just a candidate, however. (I am cross posting this. Dumb question:
    is the OHS-dev list archived in hypermail?)

    What other services?
    consider:
        email handling (lists, etc)
        forum handling
        more (remember: doctrine of creeping functionality!)

    Personally, I'd like to think of the core technology being scalable such
    that individuals can have their own local copies, and server farms can
    handle web-based access. It should even be possible to configure the core
    such that (not illustrated), there can be arcs between cores.

    Yet another 0.02 Euros.
    Jack

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.

    eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
    Click here for more details