[unrev-II] Technology and Education

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 20:14:53 PST

    Jim,

    Just encountered your article in Vision, May 1998....

    http://horizon.unc.edu/TS/vision/1998-05.asp

    ...while preparing for a possible meeting with Jim Spohrer, whom you interviewed
    for the article......

    The Educational Object Economy Project:
    An Interview with James Spohrer

    First, thanks for a well written and lucid account of efforts to use technology
    for education.

    The big issue is how to lift learning ability by an order of magnitude for a
    wide mass of people, which is essential for moving civilization ahead. This
    requires improving alphabet technology, which is the foundation of civilization,
    see for example the "alphabetic mind" reviewed on 991108.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/11/08/191947.HTM#L451114

    Engineers have not yet unlocked the secret of converting information into useful
    "knowledge" that uses an "intelligence" process to track and organize cause and
    effect for making successful decisions, under the rule that past is prologue.

    Lately, there has been re-newed interest in Charles Peirce's work, who posited
    that "knowledge" is grounded in experience......

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/05/15/011512.HTM#L260904

    Unfortunately, technologists overlook this basic fact, and rush ahead to build
    topical maps and conceptual graphs, because we now have tools that make it fast
    and easy to draw pictures and graphs. Andy Grove at Intel points out that
    people like to work on familiar things in familiar ways, so everyone is missing
    the key idea of automated integration of time and information. Grove also
    points out that to avoid ambiguity of mental maps we must analyze our
    experience, i.e., take copious notes. So far, that is the only tool we have to
    emulate, in an objective form that can be improved, the mind's power to assemble
    small meanings into larger understandings, and apply them consistently over
    time. That is why Gutenberg was honored for having contributed the most to
    advance civilization over the past millennium, i.e., he found a way to improve
    alphabet technology. see the record on 991010.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/10/10/202239.HTM#3056

    To take another step like the alphabet, developed in 700 BC, and advanced by
    Gutenberg in 1455, we need a new kind of technology and architecture that
    integrates "information" produced by the alphabet, with the sequencing of time,
    and the structure of DNA that organizes life. Work over the past 15 years
    indicates SDS may be a strong first step. My guess is this that education can
    be substantially strengthened by adding this capability to current curriculum,
    along with learning the alphabet and math, as a basic learning tool set.

    SDS based on POIMS technology is explained at.....

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#6221

    Sorry, for a late response. This is an important subject.

    Rod

    eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
    Click here for more details