Re: [unrev-II] Coding / Knowledge Nuggets / FAQs

From: Bill Bearden (billbearden@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 13:59:43 PDT

    --- Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com> wrote:
    <<some snippage>>

    > If the ability to do remote collaboration on a
    > design is one
    > important tool we need to bootstrap open source
    > development
    > of a DKR, then a FAQ-style expertise system has
    > considerable
    > DKR-ness, in and of itself.

    I am currently working on modifying a system that I
    didn't build. And, alas, the original development team
    is long gone. I can't count the number of times I have
    wished for a repository for application-level
    knowledge nuggets. I don't care so much about the
    language-level knowlege, but I really want to know how
    things work and how they are inter-related. It seems
    like a good application for a fairly simple ontology
    (nouns based on the domain model, classes, methods,
    etc?) and assertions (RDF?).

    > [Somewhere in the open source community, I recall
    > seeing a
    > FAQ-generating tool. But I don't recall where, or
    > how good
    > it was.)

    The Apache project has one. Whether it is the one you
    are remembering, I don't know. Click on "Faq-O-Matic"
    link under Site Resources at http://java.apache.org/.