[unrev-II] Dialog Mapping and email

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 07:58:31 PDT

    Based on a post by Heiner Benking to OHS-DEV, I discovered a paper at
    http://www.uia.org/uiadocs/dialqual.htm
    Enhancing the Quality of Email Dialog using Artificial Intelligence.

    I found that paper (it's the top listing) at
    http://www.uia.org/uiadocs/aadocdia.htm which is a listing of papers and
    reports on dialog and community.

    That URL came from the paper Dialog Culture which was found at
    http://www.ceptualinstitute.com/genre/benking/dialogue-culture.htm, the
    first paragraph of which is:

    "When looking at Dialogue and David Bohm's work that discusses going beyond
    assumptions, isolation and interest, and towards an open sharing of ideas,
    we learn that people increasingly get together only to present their own
    ideas and to defend their views or projects. Bohm was very aware of the
    need -- even in open and free (no format) meetings -- to find procedures or
    principles that will literally give people the "space" to talk and
    especially to overcome ingrained habits and convictions which tend to bias
    and hamper speakers (for more see: On Dialogue p 30). He was very aware of
    how 'talkers' use words, protecting themselves by building walls of words
    therefore mis-intentionally hindering the free flow of ideas that could
    otherwise reinforce and encourage a participatory mode and mood. "

    It appears that one could spend several weeks motoring around in the space
    opened by Benking while comparing and contrasting all that to Jeff
    Conklin's IBIS papers.

    Cheers
    Jack

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of
    VeriSign's FREE Guide "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it now!
    http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6lIgYB/IWxCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM